Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It Could Happen

Have you ever been stumped by a huge problem, and though people offered you advice and ideas to overcome it, you shot them down every time? Every new option was immediately doused with a dose of your own reality and list of reasons why that couldn't possibly work. This turns even the smallest of petty problems into mountainous obstacles.

I've been there.
Confession: my Thanksgiving turkey would not fit in my crock pot... no pan was big enough... I wouldn't be home to watch it in the oven...all other stores were closed... the Holiday was ruined. Haha, how pathetic, right? As I cried on the phone to my mom, I knew I sounded childish and ridiculous. Yet, in that moment, that turkey was ruining my day and stealing my joy. After I took a chill pill, I realized that I was being dumb, and my mom is in fact a brilliant woman. All of her solutions would have worked. (PS - She ended up bringing the turkey this year... love you Mom!)

I love how life coach Scott Dinsmore (Live Your Legend) puts it: "As humans, our immediate reaction to someone’s new idea (or our own) often is to figure out why it won’t work. I know, sad but true. The problem is that when you get critical of something the moment the idea comes up, it gets stomped out immediately. It might not even make it more than a sentence or two before someone else yells out the reasons it ‘obviously’ won’t work. Then you feel stupid and move on. . . Imagine how many brilliant ideas get killed too soon due to premature criticism."

Next time, instead of smothering that flame of a new idea take a few minutes to give it wings. Let your imagination soar to all the positive ways it would turn out. Write your dreams and goals down daily, and take the time to visualize them actually happening. 

Further Proof

Isaiah 40:27-31
Why would you ever complain, O Jacob,
or, whine, Israel, saying,
"God has lost track of me.
He doesn't care what happens to me"?
Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening?
God doesn't come and go. God lasts.
He's Creator of all you can see or imagine.
He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath.
And he knows everything, inside and out.
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,
they walk and don't lag behind

Ephesians 3:20
God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.”
Albert Einstein

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
Eleanor Roosevelt

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, get on your way."
Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!"
Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment