Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recipe #2 Crock Pot Adobo Chicken (Bonus Chicken Stock Recipe)

This is delicious, melt in your mouth, fall off the bones, give me MORE chicken! This is my version of the ever popular Filipino Adobo Chicken.

1 whole chicken - please de-feather your fowl.
1 Onion  - diced and put into crock pot.
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar - pour into crock pot.
3/4 Cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or Soy Sauce) - pour into crock pot
4 cloves of crushed garlic - add to pot
1 tsp ground pepper - add to pot
3 bay leaves - add to pot
A Few dashes of cayenne pepper for a kick.

I put everything together and let my chicken marinate all night in the fridge.

In the morning, I turned the crock pot on low and let the chicky goodness cook.
About 10 hours later I came home to an amazing hot dinner.
You can either pan fry the chicken at this point for a crispy skin, or pop it under the broiler for a few minutes.
Hubby and I devoured the whole chicken!

**Bonus Recipe** Homemade Chicken Stock
After you have devoured your chicken throw all the scraps and bones back into the crock pot.
- Cover them with cold filtered water.
- Add in some veggies. I used some carrots, celery, and onions.
- I also added some salt, pepper, and seasonings: basil, oregano, other randomness.
- I let this stew on low for 24 hours.
- Strain the veggies and bones out and put the liquid into containers. (You can either scrape off the fat that rises to the top as it cools, or leave it to help preserve your stock for longer. It acts as a natural barrier against bacteria. Just lift it to the side and scoop out the goodness when you need it.)

Take a look at this blog post from Kelly the Kitchen Kop on the benefits and uses for your homemade stock. Health Benefits of Homemade Stock

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment